The Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres, located in Sèvres,Hauts-de-Seine, France, has been one of the largest and most renowned manufacturers of fine and important porcelain, since 1740.
It was founded through the support of King Louis XV of France and at the initiative of Madame Pompadour to be located near her Château.
Due to Sèvres’ reputation for excellence and prestige, it has always attracted some of the best artists throughout history; François Boucher, Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse, Étienne Maurice Falconet, Alexandre Fragonard and August Rodin, just to name a few. Many of these artworks can be seen at the Louvre Museum and the Musée National de Céramique in France.
Initially, Sèvres created a soft paste porcelain know as Biscuit de Sèvres.
In 1768 the Bordeaux chemist Villaris and Jean Baptiste Darnet discovered deposits of Kaolin on French soil. In 1771 the Royal Academy sent a report on the creation of hard paste porcelain at which time Sèvres began manufacturing hard paste porcelain.
Louis-Simon Boizot (1743–1809) was a French sculptor renowned for creating Biscuit de Sèvres models, and was the director at Sèvres from 1774-1800, followed by Alexandre Brogniart(1800-1847) and Henri Victor Regnault in 1854.