Meissen porcelain or Meissen china was the first European hard-paste porcelain. Developed in 1708 by Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus. After his death, Johann Friedrich Böttger continued von Tschirnhaus’s work and brought porcelain to the market. The production of porcelain at Meissen, near Dresden, started in 1710 and attracted artists and artisans to establish one of the most famous porcelain manufacturers, still in business today as Staatliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen GmbH. Its signature logo, the crossed swords, was introduced in 1720 to protect its production; the mark of the crossed swords is one of the oldest trademarks in existence. It dominated the style of European porcelain until 1756.